Heads up owners of Small, Disadvantaged, Minority, Women, or Veteran Business Enterprise (SDMWVBE) businesses! The government-wide Federal Procurement Contract Award Goals could be changing. In late May, House Resolution No. 4435 was passed. Included in this bill are a number of provisions that could positively affect small businesses if the Senate passes the bill out right, or if the changes make it into the mutually agreed version of the bill passed by both houses; and is signed into law.
The proposed contract award goals changes are:
- Raising the Federal’s government small business prime contract goal from 23% to 25%.
- Raising the Federal’s government small business sub-contracting goal from 35.9% to 40%.
Other possible changes that would impact SDMWVBE businesses are:
- Utilizing the Women-Owned Small Business Program for sole source contract awards;
- Changing the Service Disable Veteran certifier from the Department of Veterans Affairs to the U.S. Small Business Administration; and
- Providing bundling and consolidation of contracts justification before a strategic sourcing solicitation is released, as well as, improved data reporting standards for bundled and consolidated contracts.
The progression of the bill can be followed on HERE on GovTrack.us.